“We have come this far by Faith, leaning on the Lord trusting in His Holy Word”
Lincoln Memorial Congregational Church was organized on December 1, 1912 under the name Metropolitan Congregational by Rev. J.D. Pettigrew. At the time and for more than 30 years it was the only predominately Black Congregational Church west of the Rocky Mountains.
When first organized the church met in a home on what was then called “The West Side”. From there it moved to a store front on Central Ave and was renamed, Lincoln Memorial Congregational Church. As membership grew the church moved to a church building which still stands today on 34th Street just east of Central Avenue.
In October 1915, Rev. E.E Lightner accepted the call and assumed duties of pastor. In October 1927 the church moved to a larger building on the corner of Vernon and Hooper Avenues. Rev. Lightner served as pastor until his death in 1942.
In 1943 Rev. Lloyd Galloway became pastor and served for more than 40 years. During his time at Lincoln the church became part of the United Church of Christ. The current structure was erected in 1964. The church also acquired additional property.
Since Rev. Galloway’s retirement pastors who have served are Rev. Monte Norwood, Rev. Charles Mattison and Rev. Dr. Lawrence Foy.
In June 1995 Lincoln called Rev. Gailen Reevers to its pastorate. With the guidance of the Holy Spirit Rev. Reevers has taken Lincoln to new heights. We added the Family Life Center, renovated the inside of the sanctuary and the parking lot.
During its history, Lincoln has always served the needs of the greater community. It has provided free meals for school children during the depression, provided leadership and facilities for YMCA and YWCA in the 1940’s and 50’s. Our Pilgrim Fellowship attracted young people from all parts of the city and at times was 100 strong. Lincoln has partnered with many organizations to offer programs and services to families in South LA. Some of our partnerships are The Lincoln Family Life Center, Assurance Learning Academy, Netiya, Charles Drew University and UCLA.